Friday, April 4, 2008

Floods.....


I apologize that it has been so long since I have written. There is much to tell you all. As the kids have had “summer vacation” the past three months, I have been able to see more of the country. You may have heard about Ecuador in the news the past few months. Many of the people in the southern part of the country have been affected by severe flooding. Some of the missionary sisters live in a parish near in one of the affected areas and I have the opportunity to visit them. The president of Ecuador was actually visiting the same town.
Many people have lost their homes, many are out of work. When we visited the towns, the most notable thing (besides all the flooding) were all the mosquitoes. I am not exaggerating when I say we were covered in mosquitoes. I would slap one on my arm and then look to see another seven or eight on that same arm. Needless to say, I was covered in mosquito bites when we returned to the parish. I really am not sure how the people dealt with it all. The mosquitoes brought fears of Dengue and sickness. Many people still were in good spirits when we visited them, but it this has still been a very difficult time for these people.

No comments: